You'll find a unique gift for all your loved ones this holiday season at our Fall into Winter Pottery Sale!
30+ potters will be selling a wide variety of ceramics on
Saturday, November 18th
at our Watertown location:
79R Grove St. Watertown, MA 02476
Parking is free, we're accessible by MBTA (The 71 bus) and our sellers will be accepting a variety of payment methods, including cash.
We'd love to see you- come on by!
-Workshop cancellation policy-
$20 admin fee is deducted from the full workshop refund up until March 29th, 2024.
50% refund for cancellations between March 29th - April 5th 2024
The Functional Pot; Tips, Tools & Techniques
Every potter has a list of WHAT they want to make. HOW to make it, is often the question. During this two-day, information-loaded, demo-workshop some 50+ making techniques will be demonstrated in answer to these ‘how-to’ questions; techniques participants will want to use and adjust to fit their own future work. Short cuts, tips and tool use at the wheel will be shared through demo after demo. Hand-building functional forms will be a focus during part of the demonstrations as requested, defining projects and techniques for hand-builders.
Friday, April 5, 5-7pm meet and greet
Saturday, April 6, 9:30-4pm workshop demonstrations
Sunday, April 7, 9:30-4pm workshop demonstrations
Indigo Fire Watertown
79R Grove Street, Watertown MA 02472
Demonstrated techniques at the wheel will include:
- Efficient hand positions for throwing
- Simple tools and their use
- Lid arrangements and form
- Spout, rim and lip making and proportions
- Trimming and foot finishing possibilities
- Faceting and fluting as decoration
- Handles and lugs; pulled and hand built
- Making bottle forms; collaring techniques
- Making dinnerware; throwing and trimming
- Making squared and oval baking ware
- Wet, thick slip decoration
- And much more…
A sampling of forms to be demonstrated;
- Open and lidded casseroles
- Pitcher and pouring pots
- Cups and mugs
- Bowl forms
- Bottle forms
Hand-building demonstrations may include;
- Slumped oval slab platter making
- Humped squared plate making
- Foot attachment possibilities; slab, sprigged & coiled
- Textured decoration; wet slip, pressed, and resisted textures
Participants are welcome to take photos, and videos for their own use and are encouraged to bring a notebook.
A discussion about glazes will take place during the workshop, as requested. My ^6 oxidation, ^8-9-10 gas, and salt/soda wood-firing slips & glaze recipe sheets will be provided to each participant. Additionally, a selection of van Gilder Clay Tools and a sampling of Bill's current work will be made available for participant purchase.